2013/14 Season

1st Team Results

Feb 22

1st Team 4 - 6 Enfield Old Grammarians Res
Date: 2014-02-22
Venue: Away
Referee: Steve Wildgoose

Well this was a proper game of Grassroots Cup Football, but the score did not reflect the game !

Bertians had a very different line up since they last played and certainly since they last played Enfield OG back in October with only four players being in that game. Bertians welcome four new signings to club as they looked to strengthening the side after losing a few player to injuries and traveling and all of them looked impressive.

Egs started off the better side and it was clear that they had the beating of Enfield for pace as Chetin, Aaron and Ryan were getting in behind their defence almost at will. The first goal came from a lovely bit of football from the Bertian Boys and Ryan played a nice through ball in behind the defence for Chetin who whipped it low across goal for Adam to smash home, might of got a deflection but was always going in! Egs were on top at this point and the defence was looking very solid with Johnny Wade and Monny looking like a solid partnership, but the very slippery pitch was the cause for the equaliser as a simple clearance turned into a slip and the Enfield striker jumping onto a loose ball to put the game level at 1-1.

It did not take Egs long to get back in control when Dan Morgan pulled off an amazing 35/40 yard shot and lobbing the keeper with ease to make it 2-1. From this point of Egs could have had 2 or 3 more in the first half and with our defence working very hard keeping a lively Enfield front line at bay the game was looking comfortable.

Second half Egs started off as the finished with more chances at goal and wave after wave of attack, but Enfield looked a lot more solid and there big CB had certainly come out fired up as he was winning almost everything in the air. But it was a great Pass from Aaron “Speedy” Ramos-Gonzalez that put Ryan in on goal to put Bertians 3-1 up.

With 35 mins to go the game changed as a lucky low Enfield cross seemed to find its way passed the near post and the keeper putting the game at 3-2 and momentum with the home side, then moments later a poor penalty decision gave the home side the lift they needed.

3-3 and all of a sudden both our centre back go down with injures, could have been that we have not played in 9 weeks or the fact that these two had worked their socks off but with no defensive cover we looked in trouble for the first time in the game as they both limped away to the touchline.

A free kick put the home side in front and then a great corner and bullet header put the 5-3 up, even with Egbertians at a clear disadvantage the team did not give up and a great run from Chetin had him certain to be in on goal only for him to be pulled back by the shirt and swung round and dropped to the floor. The resulting free kick was taken quickly from Speedy who said he was gonna score and score he did with a lovely curling ball round an unprepared wall.

With the game at 5-4 the Egs just poured forward looking for another goal and the Enfield defence were looking rattled but it was a lucky deflection with minutes to go that secured it for the home side 6-4.

With these new signings, all our players back and less bad luck with injures we look forward to battling again with a very organised Enfield OG side.


M Paxton 

D Massey 

C Hill 

J Wade (MotM) 

R Navarro 

D Morgan 
Scored (1) 

A Walker 
Scored (1) 

M Stavery 

R Folan 
Scored (1) 

C Ali 

A Ramos-Gonzalez 
Scored (1) 

H Hicks 

S Haydon 

Beati Mundo Corde