LOB Cup Victory

Match Report // 14th April 2007

Egbertian Reserves verses Enfield Old Grammarians Reserves

The Egbertian Football Club have won their first cup competition in their seventy nine year history.

On a very hot day in front of a crowd of about 150 at the Redbridge Sports Centre in Barkingside they defeated Enfield Old Grammarians II 3-1 in the LOB Intermediate Cup Final.

Enfield were a more physically imposing team and had much the better of a tight first half which ended goalless. Much of the play was in the Egbertian half and despite the Egs back four defending well Enfield should have gone into the half time break at least a goal to the good after Tim Jackson missed several good chances after good work from Darren May on the right who proved a constant threat during the first half. Steve Thorne in the Egbertian goal actually had few saves to make as Enfield’s finishing was profligate. The only noteable escape for Enfield was a missed header from Danny Rhone.

The Cup Run

The Egs started the better of the two teams in the second half and had much more of the play than before the break and it was with the run of play that Ryan Wood swept in the first goal of the game with a left footed shot after 52 minutes after good work from Adam McKinnon on the left. They increased their lead on 65 minutes when Dave Burnage scored from an excellent through ball from Adam McKinnon, which was his second assist of the game. It was an excellent goal from Dave who took the ball in his stride and drove the ball past the oncoming keeper with aplomb. The game then ebbed and flowed without either side really looking like scoring until second half substitute Jason Francis effectively finished the game when he drilled in a low shot from 18 yards after 73 minutes. It was a goal out of nothing and probably against the balance of play and made the score 3-0. However, an obdurate Enfield never gave up and always looked dangerous from set pieces, as they had all game, and the last fifteen minutes saw them come close on several occasions including hitting the bar and it was no surprise when Tom Miller scored directly from a free kick after 82 minutes to pull a goal back. But Enfield had left it too late and the Egs finished 3-1 winners to win their first cup in their long history.

It was a good game played to a high standard in a good spirit despite the three bookings and an excellent crowd were thoroughly entertained. The score line was slightly flattering in that had Enfield taken their chances in the first half it might have been different but it was a lesson to them in the art of clinical finishing.

Beati Mundo Corde